Sour Cherry Lattice Pie
Credit: Epicurious.com https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/classic-sour-cherry-pie-with-lattice-crust-242514
- 2 1/2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. (227g.) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 Tbsp.(or more) ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 cups whole pitted sour cherries (about 2 pounds whole pitted cherries)
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. (about) milk] or 1 egg for egg wash of crust
- 1 Tbsp. sugar to sprinkle on top of lattice (optional)
- Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream to serve on side
- Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter cubes and rub in with fingertips and palms until small pea-size clumps form.
- Add 5 tablespoons ice water; mix lightly with fork until dough holds together when small pieces are pressed between fingertips, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough together; divide into 2 equal portions. Form each piece into ball, then flatten into disk and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Let dough soften slightly before rolling out.
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 425°
- Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. cornstarch, and 1/4 tsp. salt in medium bowl to blend. Stir in cherries, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla; set aside.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch glass pie dish. Trim dough overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Using large knife or pizza cutter, cut ten 3/4-inch-wide strips from dough round.
- Transfer filling to dough-lined dish, mounding slightly in center. Dot with butter.
- Arrange dough strips atop filling, forming lattice; trim dough strip overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold bottom crust up over ends of strips and crimp edges to seal.
- Brush lattice crust (not edges) with milk. Sprinkle lattice with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Or brush all of crust with egg wash.
- Place pie on rimmed baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake pie until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown, covering edges with foil collar if browning too quickly, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.
- Cut into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.
NOTE: Make sure cherries are completely defrosted and drained. Too much liquid will make a mess of the lattice top when attempting to weave.