Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 4 cups flour (500 g) flour
- 9 oz. (255 g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (34g) powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream,
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1/3 cups (80-100 ml) of warm milk
- 1 Tbsp (9g) instant yeast
- 1/8 tsp. salt (~pinch)
- 12 oz. (340g) walnuts, ground
- 1/2 cups (100 g) sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup (~100 ml) milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice (optional and fresh squeezed)
- Stir yeast and ½ powdered sugar into ~120F milk, dissolve and set aside. (does not have to proof with instant yeast, if using active, allow to activate (10-15 minutes)
- Work room-temp butter into flour as you would for a pie crust until corn meal texture.
- Add room temp egg, remainder sugar, salt, sour cream, and milk with yeast.
- Work ingredients until a nice soft dough forms. Sometimes a little more flour is needed if it seems too soft.
- Form into a ball/hockey puck shape, cover and let rest for ~30 minutes.
- While dough is resting, add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, orange juice and milk to ground walnuts to make a paste and set aside.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions (I weigh the whole ball and divide by six) knead and roll them into little balls and set aside.
- Roll each portion into a circle about the size of a dinner plate (~7in/18cm) and cut into 8 triangles. (like a pizza. I use a pizza cutter)
- Place a tsp. of walnut paste on the outer rim of each triangle and roll toward the point into a crescent shape. (sometimes I like to spread the paste over the whole triangle rather than leave in a clump in the center, and then roll. Toasted nut paste tastes so good when it seeps out and gets a bit toasted)
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to rest for an extra 15 minutes.
- Bake it in a preheated 350 F oven, until it has a slight golden color, about 25 minutes.
- Dust kifli with powdered sugar.
- Apricot jam is another traditional filling for the filling. The apricot jam/butter should not be too thin or runny. A denser jam works best.
4 thoughts on “Walnut Kifli”
Walnut Kifli Seems To Be The Closet To The Recipe I Lost Years Ago!! I Used A Walnut Filling Closer To The Kolach’s I Baked W My Mother All Of My Life. The Recipe I’ve Been Searching for Was The Last Care Package Sent to Momma Before She Passed. Her Sister
Sent Me Recipe!
Though Disabled, I Can Still Make These! I Look Forward To Getting My Disability Check & Getting the Ingredients!!
Thanks For Sharing Your Recipes! I Gave This To My Sisters But None Now Have It Sadly…. Have A Great New Year!
Hello Tonya, I’m so sorry for your loss… and I’m so sorry you lost that recipe!
This was a recipe from a little German lady who passed many years ago.
Was not able to get my moms or mother in laws recipe before she passed.
I made this a while back but haven’t made it since.
Maybe try Annamária’s kitchen. I don’t have a links for her but she has a Facebook group. I think the name of it is a taste of Hungary?
Good luck! 🙏🏼 🇭🇺
Thank You So Much For Your Response! I Recently Had Surgery on My Wrist/Hand. It’ll Be About 6 Months Until It’s Healed. Hopefully This Will Be My Last Surgery, 18 now….
I Sent This To My Best Friend From High School Years Ago!
She’s on a 150 acre farm about an Hour Away! I’d Planned to Spend Time Around Christmas With Her. They Caught COVID.
I Also Had Planned To Spend Time With My Son & Grandchildren. Sadly, He & His Wife Were Both Feeling Ill On Christmas. I Happily Shared FaceTime With My Grandchildren! Having Lupus, I Have To Be Careful Of Germs.
I Also Have Fibromyalgia and The End of Jan 2022, Brain Scan Showed Almost 40 Brain Lesions. Neurologist Thinks May Have MS On Top Of The Others. Before They’ll Schedule Me at MS Clinic In Charlottesville VA, I Had To Have A New Scan.
Prior To Surgery Last Monday, Anesthesiologist Came & Had a Long Talk With Me. Said It’s Extremely Urgent I get in to see The Neurologist. Apparently The New Scan Was Worse. Please Keep Me Your Prayers!
Will Be Baking ASAP!!
Oh my goodness! That is a-LOT!! I’m so very sorry you are dealing with so much. Geez… as if lupus and fibromyalgia were not enough… 💔😔🙏🏼 praying that you will have the support needed to manage all of this and experience healing. god bless you as you navigate… 🙏🏼🙏🏼💗