Crunchy Crescent Rolls / Sós Kifli
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 500g flour
- 10g salt
- 7g instant yeast
- 50g sour cream
- 200g milk
- 100g purified water
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- coarse sea salt (sprinkled on top)
- Mix milk water and sour cream till smooth. Warm to 120F.
- Add 3/4 of the flour, 10g salt and 7g yeast to mixing bowl. Pulse to blend.
- With dough hook and power on low, add wet ingredients to 3/4 of dry ingredients and mix for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add remainder dry ingredients, scrape sides of mixing bowl and run mixer for approximately ten minutes.
- If kneading my hand, keep kneading until dough is no longer sticky. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth when formed into a ball.
- If using a mixing machine, remove from bowl and knead into a smooth ball. If still sticky add flour sparingly while kneading and forming into a ball. After mixer, this should only be a few seconds.
- Place into floured or buttered bowl, cover with Saran Wrap and a kitchen towel and place in a warm draft free spot to proof for between 45 minutes and one hour.
- Knead down dough to remove air, cut into 8 equal portions. (recipe doubled in pictures)
- Knead and roll into 8 smooth little balls, cover and let rise for approximately 10 minutes.
- On a lightly oiled surface, using a rolling pin, roll each portion into a very thin triangle. As thin as possible
- With hands, roll into a tightly rolled crescent shape beginning from the bottom two corners of the triangle and rolling up to the point, bringing the two corners back down toward you to create the crescent shape. See video.
- Place each kifli onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and let rise till kiflis double in size, approximately 30 minutes.
- Just before placing cookie sheet in oven, spray kiflis with water for a crunchy crust.
- Or you can egg wash kifli for a glossier finish.
- Sprinkle coarse kosher salt on top of kifli and bake for approximately 15 minutes in a 430F oven.
- Remove from oven, cool and enjoy!!