Whole Wheat Cinnamon Buns
Credit: Urban Homemaker & Marika’s Kitchen
- 2 cups warm water (120 degrees)
- ½ cup dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp SAF-Instant Yeast
- ½ cup oil or butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ½ tsp. salt
- 6-8 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Vital Gluten
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped or whole pecans
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
Cinnamon Role Mixture
- 1 cup Sucanat
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
NOTE: If you would like to have hot-out-of-the-oven rolls without getting up at 4:00 a.m., prepare the rolls a day ahead. Place the shaped rolls on the maple glaze and raise them over night in the refrigerator (instead of a warm place), keeping them carefully covered with plastic wrap. In the morning, the dough should have doubled and be ready to bake.
- Combine yeast, dry milk powder, vital gluten, and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add water, oil, and honey
- Mix well for one to two minutes
- Turn off mixer, cover the bowl and let dough sponge for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add eggs and salt
- Turn on mixer and add additional flour, one cup at a time, until the dough begins to clean the side of the bowl.
- Knead for only 5 minutes and keep the dough very soft and manageable. (Stiff dough will produce heavy, dry rolls.)
- If the dough becomes stiff while kneading, drizzle additional water as you knead.
- To prepare sticky buns, melt butter and syrup and divide this mixture evenly into the bottom of two 9X13 baking pans. Top with pecans.
- Divide the dough into two even portions.
- Roll into a 20X28 inch rectangle.
- Spread 3 TBSP of melted butter over the rectangle of dough.
- Sprinkle with half the sucanat/cinnamon mixture. (Optional roll toppings –add ½ cup softened raisins and half cup chopped nuts, or both)
- Roll up into a “jelly roll” , seal the seam and cut into 1-1 ½ inch thick pieces with dental floss. This will yield 12-15 rolls.
- Place the rolls into the prepared pans.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Let the rolls rise in a warm area until doubled. (Approx 30-60 minutes)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or till well browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand in pan for 5 minutes.
- Turn out of pan to cool onto a rack placed over a jelly roll pan (to catch the drippings and simplify cleanup) ENJOY!