Almás Pite / Hungarian Style Apple Pie
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 3 1-2 (513g) cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 9 Oz. (255.15g) unsalted butter
- 1/3cup (77g) cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) sour cream
- 3 1/2 lbs. granny smith apples peeled, cored, grated
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 1/2 tsp (3g) cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup (112g) sugar (or to taste)
- 1 egg (egg wash top of finished pastry before putting in oven)
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cane sugar
- Peel, core and shred/grate the apples. Stir in lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown.
- Squeeze as much juice from apples as possible and set aside. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon to addles, stir and set aside. (I often actually do this step after making dough while it is reating.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder to mixing bowl and stir ingredients around to incorporate evenly.
- Add soft butter to flour mixture and work butter into dry ingredients like you would when making a pie crust. Mix butter into flour mixture till course with pea size clumps.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar, 2 eggs and sour cream and mix till a nice dough forms that pulls away from sides and bottom of bowl. Mix about 1 to 1.5 minutes.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface, cut in half and knead each ball into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 380F degrees
- Butter and lightly flour the bottom and corners of your 9 x 13” pan.another option is to spray pan with coconut oil. Only prep area of pan that will be covered by bottom pastry.
- Roll out first dough for bottom layer so that it covers the bottom of your pan and also goes an inch or two up the sides.
- Roll dough onto the rolling pin and unroll into the bottom of the baking dish, allowing a little bit of the edges to run up all four sides.
- Fork prick the whole bottom layer crust and pour cooled grated apples onto pastry. Distribute apples and gently pat down evenly.
- Roll out second ball of dough so it just covers the whole top of apples. No need for overhang.
- Roll onto top of apples.. Position it, pat down, tuck the edges and pierce top with fork.
- Brush some egg wash all over the top. Sprinkle top with 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 Tblsp. cane sugar.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minute or until top is golden.
- Cool, cut edges off all around and remove before cutting pieces into squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar when serving and enjoy!