Almás Pite / Hungarian Style Apple Pie
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 3 1-2 (513g) cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 9 Oz. (255.15g) unsalted butter
- 1/3cup (77g) cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) sour cream
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 lbs. granny smith apples peeled, cored, grated
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 1/2 tsp (3g) cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup (112g) sugar (or to taste)
- 1 egg (egg wash top of finished pastry before putting in oven)
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cane sugar
- Peel, core and shred/grate the apples. Stir in lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown. Add sugar and cinnamon, mix and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add shredded apples and saute for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir frequently until apples soften and release moisture. Pour apples into a sieve over a bowl and press excess juice out of apples. Cool and set aside.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder to mixing bowl and pulse to mix dry ingredients.
- Add ½ of the soft butter staggered into flour mixture. Using whisk attachment mix butter into flour mixture till course with pea size clusters. Continue mixing and adding pieces of soft butter until all butter and flour are course meal.
- Switch to dough hook. Add 1/3 cup sugar, 2 eggs and sour cream and mix till a nice dough forms that pulls away from sides and bottom of bowl. Mix about 1 to 1.5 minutes.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface, cut in half and knead each ball into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 380F degrees
- Butter and lightly flour the bottom and corners of your 9 x 13” pan.another option is to spray pan with coconut oil. Only prep area of pan that will be covered by bottom pastry.
- Roll out first dough for bottom layer so that it covers the bottom of your pan and also goes an inch or two up the sides.
- Roll dough onto the rolling pin and unroll into the bottom of the baking dish, allowing a little bit of the edges to run up all four sides.
- Fork prick the whole bottom layer crust and pour cooled grated apples onto pastry. Distribute apples and gently pat down evenly.
- Roll out second ball of dough so it just covers the whole top of apples. No need for overhang.
- Roll onto top of apples.. Position it, pat down, tuck the edges and pierce top with fork.
- Brush some egg wash all over the top. Sprinkle top with 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 Tblsp. cane sugar.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minute or until top is golden.
- Cool, cut edges off all around and remove before cutting pieces into squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar when serving and enjoy!