Single Pie Crust
- 1 3/4 cups (224g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. (8.25g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp. (4.5g) salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3 oz./84.75g) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup (47.75g) shortening
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. ice water
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and sugar until well combined.
- Add butter pieces into flour and toss until just coated. Rub butter between thumb and forefingers to incorporate into flour mixture until butter is in lima bean-sized pieces and comes together in clumps when squeezed in palm. Should take approximately 2 minutes.
- Add shortening, toss until just coated in flour, then rub into flour mixture until mixture forms pea-size pieces (some big chunks should remain) and comes together in fist-sized clumps when squeezed. This should take about 1 minute.
- Drizzle in half ice water and rake through mixture with fingers until just moistened.
- Drizzle in remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time and comb through mixture with fingers to moisten. It will go from being a shaggy mess to coming together.
- Dough is moist enough when it is moistened through but is not wet when pressed. (Do not overwork the dough or it will become tough.)
- While rotating the bowl with 1 hand, push dough between other palm and side of bowl to gather into a ball.
- Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, press it into a flat disk, then close in wrap.
- Refrigerator at least 30 minutes before rolling out and forming into a crust.