Cauliflower with White Sauce (Marton Mama’s Recipe)
Credit: Anyuka Marton
- 1 -2 Heads Cauliflower; cored and separated into large flowerets
- Water to boil (enough to cover cauliflower by approx. 2 inches)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ cup butter or olive oil (or half of each)
- 3 TBSP. Wondra flour (or all purpose)
- 3 TBSP. chopped Italian parsley leaves (approx. ½ a bunch; stemmed and minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 – 2 cups reserved liquid from boiling cauliflower (or bone broth)
- 1 cup crushed corn flake crumbs
- 2 oz. butter
- Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower flowerets, salt and boil until cauliflower is medium soft
- Drain and set aside cauliflower: reserve liquid for sauce
- Melt butter in saucepan and add flour and saute for a few minutes (2 to 3 minutes) until the flour begins to toast.
- Add parsley leaves, continuing to stir and remove pan from heat to add liquids.
- Add milk, and 1 cup reserve cauliflower stock or bone broth and stir until smooth and creamy. If sauce is too thick, add enough of the stock from reserved cauliflower water or bone broth.
- Spread cauliflower evenly in 9 X 13” baking dish and pour sauce evenly over top
- Melt 2 TBSP. butter in saucepan and add corn flake crumbs stirring till coated
- Sprinkle toasted corn flake crumbs over casserole and bake in 350* oven for 20 minutes or until bubbling in center