Tök Főzelék / Creamed Zucchini
Credit: Cser Mama
- 5 1/2 lbs. Zucchini shredded
- 1 medium onion diced (174g)
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil (70g)
- 3 heaping tablespoons organic all-purpose flour (60g)
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika (2g)
- approx. 6 cups water
- 1 package organic fresh dill minced (21g)
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (16g)
- Peel zucchini, cut in half and length wise and scoop all seeds and spongy center from zucchini and grate. I ended up having 5 3/4 lbs. of shredded/grated zucchini after it was peeled and gutted and shredded. Set aside.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons salt on shredded zucchini and stir well, tossing with wooden spoon every few minutes. After about 20 to 30 minutes of occasional stirring you’ll notice a lot of moisture has released from the zucchini. Take handfuls of wet zucchini and squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. Put squeezed out zucchini in clean bowl and set aside.
- Peel and dice medium onion fine.
- Sautee onion in olive oil till transparent.
- Add flour, sauté a few minutes stirring continually. (Sometimes I add a little more olive oil if the flour seems too dry while trying to sauté / toast flour.
- Add teaspoon Hungarian paprika and continue to stir for a few more minutes. Be careful not to burn paprika.
- Add water and stir with a whisk till smooth and creamy. (Sometimes I remove pan from burner while I whisk it.)
- Add zucchini, minced fresh dill and vinegar and mix sauce into squash. Make sure there is enough water to cover squash. Cook covered on medium to medium low heat stirring on occasion for about 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe a little longer. However long it takes for zucchini to cook through.
- Taste and add a little more salt if necessary. I think I added another teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half more salt at the end. Salt to your preference.
NOTE: This can also be substituted with Squash
4 thoughts on “Tök Főzelék / Creamed Zucchini”
I go back to Hungary every year, since 1997. This year I couldn’t go! I had my ticket! Then Covid happened. I’m so heartbroken. I still have not gotten my $130.00 I paid. Plus I bought insurance. I miss so many wonderful dishes that my family made for me. So I looked up this dish so many times. I finally found and made it. Thank you it is so delicious. It came out out perfect. I’m so very happy. I’m looking forward to go back to Hungary in 2021. I really Pray I can go back. Alizka Kovács Killen.
I’m so sorry you couldn’t go! I feel your pain! My youngest daughter is living in Budapest for two years. Our plan was to visit often while she and her husband are there. Our suitcases were packed and ready to go when the lockdowns first started. I’m looking for the first window of opportunity. I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Love and hugs to you! I hope you are able to go soon. 🙏🏼💜
Aways enjoyed my grandmothers tok fuzalek…she passed this Feb. summer will not be the same but hoping this recipe will help bring back my many memories of her♡ TY
Awwww… I’m so sorry for your loss… I also hope it will touch that space that will remind you of her… and if not, it can be a spring board as you continue to fine tune it to come as close to how you remember hers… love and hugs… 🙏🏼💜