Tök Főzelék / Creamed Zucchini
Credit: Cser Mama
- 5 1/2 lbs. Zucchini shredded
- 1 medium onion diced (174g)
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil (70g)
- 3 heaping tablespoons organic all-purpose flour (60g)
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika (2g)
- approx. 6 cups water
- 1 package organic fresh dill minced (21g)
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (16g)
- Peel zucchini, cut in half and length wise and scoop all seeds and spongy center from zucchini and grate. I ended up having 5 3/4 lbs. of shredded/grated zucchini after it was peeled and gutted and shredded. Set aside.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons salt on shredded zucchini and stir well, tossing with wooden spoon every few minutes. After about 20 to 30 minutes of occasional stirring you’ll notice a lot of moisture has released from the zucchini. Take handfuls of wet zucchini and squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. Put squeezed out zucchini in clean bowl and set aside.
- Peel and dice medium onion fine.
- Sautee onion in olive oil till transparent.
- Add flour, sauté a few minutes stirring continually. (Sometimes I add a little more olive oil if the flour seems too dry while trying to sauté / toast flour.
- Add teaspoon Hungarian paprika and continue to stir for a few more minutes. Be careful not to burn paprika.
- Add water and stir with a whisk till smooth and creamy. (Sometimes I remove pan from burner while I whisk it.)
- Add zucchini, minced fresh dill and vinegar and mix sauce into squash. Make sure there is enough water to cover squash. Cook covered on medium to medium low heat stirring on occasion for about 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe a little longer. However long it takes for zucchini to cook through.
- Taste and add a little more salt if necessary. I think I added another teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half more salt at the end. Salt to your preference.
NOTE: This can also be substituted with Squash