Palacsinta / Hungarian Crepes
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 6 jumbo eggs (or 8 smaller eggs)
- 2 ½ cups (591ml) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (118ml) sparkling water (optional, can be replaced with milk or regular water)
- 2 cups (263g) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. (8.53g) salt
- 4 Tbsp. (49.5g) cane sugar or (78g) maple syrup
- 2 tsp. (10g) vanilla
- 8 Tbsp. (113g, 4-5 oz.) butter, melted
- Olive oil (to coat skillet)
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. sugar or maple syrup
- Mix eggs and sugar or maple syrup until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed with a wire whisk, electric mixer or blender. Mix for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add milk, sparkling water, salt, vanilla and mix well. (Approximately 2 minutes)
- Add flour gradually while continually mixing to prevent clumps.
- Beat batter for another minute. Seems to help with elasticity so crepes don’t fall apart.
- Melt butter and mix into batter till incorporated..
- Let palacsinta batter rest for approx. 30 minutes in fridge.
- Heat crepe pan on medium heat.
- Coat pan with a little olive oil
- Pour approx. 1/3 cup into the heated pan, turning pan to spread batter evenly.(amount depends on size of pan)
- Brown lightly on both sides
- Beat cream cheese and sugar or maple syrup with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add cottage cheese and vanilla and mix till well incorporated.
- Spread filling on open palacsinta, sprinkle with a little cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, roll and enjoy!
- Other options for fillings are jams (homemade apricot is delicious!), cinnamon sugar, Nutella, strawberries and whipped cream…
- This recipe makes 21 palacsinta’s/crepes if measuring 1/3 cup batter per palacsinta/crepe.