Bird's Nest Cookies
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg yolk (reserve egg white for dipping cookies before walnuts)
- 3 Cups Flour
- Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer. Add the sugar gradually and mix well. Lightly whisk the egg yolks and add to bowl. Add vanilla and flour, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk a bit. Place chopped nuts in separate bowl.
- Roll the little balls of dough in the egg whites and then in the nuts to coat.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and dent in the center with a thimble or a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and re-dent the tops of the cookies. Return the cookies to the oven and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, store in an airtight container and fill with your favorite jam before serving.
- Depending on size, makes 40-60 cookies