Puffed Apple Pancakes
Credit: Marika’s Kitchen
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, preferably organic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 apples, such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Fuji, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced (or more!)
- 3 tablespoon light-brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Transfer dish to oven and heat until butter has just melted.
- Carefully add apples to baking dish with melted butter and bake until butter begins to bubble, and apples begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- While apples are baking, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar /maple syrup in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add salt and cinnamon to flour. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix till well incorporated; set aside.
- When apples have softened, slowly and evenly pour batter over apples, sprinkle with brown sugar, and continue baking until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- may be served with maple syrup and whipped cream.
- Goat milk can be exchanged for milk if there is a milk sensitivity. Trader Joes and Whole foods both carry a brand that tastes almost identical to regular milk. Very mild flavor.